Christmas Open Show 2018
Another December so it must mean another Christmas Open show to herald the Christmas season for our club members at our now familiar and comfortable venue in Grove, near Wantage and kindly sponsored by Happy Dog. No sign of seasonal snow, just loads of rain to accompany the journey and a flooded car park to contend with on arrival. Sam Avery and Jeanette Green deserve special mention for their efforts to defy nature and gravity armed only with buckets and brooms and clearing the access to the hall of several inches of unavoidable water to allow us all to get in without soaking our feet.
Once inside the warm hall, drawn in by the smell of bacon butties coming from the the kitchen, the show took place without any dramas with a friendly relaxed atmosphere. As usual, we had a few helpers who we could not have managed without including Louise Millermead and Annie New in the kitchen, both particularly appreciated as last minute conscripts I understand. We have to thank our dedicated stewards, Babs Munson and Mandy Hearne and all the people who brought prizes for the raffle. We also thank everyone who supported either by entering or just supporting us on the day. In these days of falling numbers, massive Club Open Show entries appear to be long gone so we appreciate the people who do support us even more.
Main show judge Nicky Cotton found her main winners as below….
Best in Show, Best Dog Shandy Bridges’ Kernow Troubadour
and Reserve Best in Show Mick and Julie Bramble’s Shirdees Miss Congeniality
Best Puppy in Show Shandy Bridges’ Kernow Troublue
Best Veteran in Show Sandra Rothery’s Glamrock Future Legend
More reports, updates and more photos will appear here in the coming days and weeks so please keep revisiting.
Show Results, Judge’s Report and Photos – Judge: Miss Nicky Cotton
I would like to thank the committee of the Bernese Mountain Dog Club of Great Britain for their invitation to judge the club open show,
Everybody made me feel so welcome,it was honour to judge my lovely breed, I had some lovely quality dogs,
Thank you all for giving me a lovely entry.
Class 1 Minor Puppy Dog (2 entries, 0 absent)
- Miles’ Jaybiem Modus Operandi – 7 ½ mth male as soon as he walked in the ring I fell in love with this puppy, when I went over him I was not disappointed, strong head, kind eyes, good teeth,level top line, nice rump, low set tail, moved well and well presented, looking forward to seeing him grow.
- Round’s Collansues Wildest Dreams – 8 mth tall male, looking raw at the moment, needs to build into his frame, needs a lot of training, rather naughty in the ring in everything he did but was a happy dog.
Class 3 Junior Dog (0)
Class 4 Yearling Dog (1,1)
Class 5 Novice Dog (1,0)
- Deradour’s Meadowpark’s All Eyes on Me – 2 yr male, flashy,nice shaped head,kind eyes, good teeth, level topline, excellent muscle, moved ok, a little out of coat, very happy lad.
Class 6 Graduate Dog (2,0)
- Bridges’ Kernow Troubadour JW (Best Dog & BiS) – Wow wow wow as soon as he walked in I couldn’t keep my eyes off him, 2 yr old male, excellent size & bone, stunning strong head, beautiful kind eyes, perfect teeth, good neck, level topline, low set tail, lovely rump, moved so settled with good stride, excellent muscle, a true working dog, nothing disappointed me, will enjoy watching him more, beautifully handled & well presented, this male could do a full days work, so happy I awarded him Best Dog & Best in Show.
- Deradour’s Meadowpark’s All Eyes on Me
Class 7 Post Graduate Dog (4,2)
- Miles & Ishaque’s Jaybiem Stan Innovation JW – 2½ yr male, excellent shape all round, strong head,kind eye,good teeth, good neck, level topline, lovely rump, low set tail, moved well, well presented, another male that’s a pleasure to go over.
- King and Green’s Joseph vom Durrbachler Wald at Arvella JW (Imp NLD) – Smaller than 1st prize winner, a longer male, nice shape all round, kind eye, good teeth, level topline, low set tail, moved well, would prefer tighter feet, also for me ears are too trimmed, well handled and well presented.
Class 10 Veteran Dog (1,0)
- Round’s Ch Collansue’s Black Magic – 7 yr male, super size male to go over, strong head, kind eyes, good teeth, lovely neck & topline, super bone, lovely angulation, moved well with good drive, well handled, this boy bought tears to my eyes, loved him, Best Veteran Dog, Really wished he stayed for best veteran in show.
Class 11 Veteran Bitch (1,0)
- Rothery’s Glamrock Future Legend (Best Veteran in Show) – 10½ yr female, looking so good for her age, lovely kind head, kind eyes, good teeth, good set ears, lovely neckline & level topline, nice bone, low set tail, moved well, well handled & presented, pleased to award Best Veteran Bitch & Best Veteran in Show.
Class 12 Minor Puppy Bitch (5,1)
- Miles’ Jaybiem Alia Iacta Est (Best Puppy Bitch) – As soon as this young pup walked into the ring I fell in love with her, couldn’t keep my eyes off her, 7½ mth female, beautiful shape all round, flashy girl, beautiful head, kind eyes, good teeth, well set ears, good neck, level top line, lovely bone, low set tail, moved well, beautifully handled & well presented. Pleased to award this pup Best Puppy Bitch.
- Kluge’s Megan Stroz Zagrody – Just 6 mths, darker and taller girl to the winner, lovely shaped female, nice eyes,nice bone, level topline, for 1st show she was a happy girl, nothing worried her, moved well, just remember to loosen the lead if too tight the eyes pop out and go red, she has lovely eyes.
- Hundley’s Jesterbrook Apus at Calizley – Just 6 mths,another nice girl, lovely shape, kind eyes, good teeth, level topline, moved well, would prefer her to be a little happier.
- Tomkinson’s Matera’s Oops I’m Precious
Class 13 Puppy Bitch (6,1)
- Miles’ Jaybiem Alia Iacta Est
- Bridges’ Kernow Rock Legacy – Another lovely dog from this kennel, 11 mth female, beautiful head, strong head, kind dark eyes, good teeth, level topline, low set tail, when going over her she likes to move but she will settle in time, happy girl, moved well, good drive, excellent muscle, it was hard to choose between 1 & 2, well presented.
- Sutton & Davenport-Willis’ Nelstephbern Dior Foreva – 11mth female, lovely shape all round, kind head,kind eyes, good teeth, good neck and level topline, nice angulation, moved well when settled and had a looser lead, would just like her a little happier, it will come in time, a bitch to watch in the future.
- Flaxman’s Nelstephbern Madamoiselle
- Tomkinson’s Matera’s Oops I’m Precious
Class 14 Junior Bitch (1,0)
- Bridges’ Kernow Follow This – 14 mth female, another lovely dog from this kennel, strong head, dark eye, good bite, strong chest, lovely bone, level topline, good angulation, low set tail, excellent muscle, moved well, shame she left her coat at home.
Class 15 Yearling Bitch (2,2)
Class 16 Novice Bitch (2,0)
- Sutton & Davenport-Willis’ Nelstephbern Dior Foreva
- McGrory’s Chippis Hug a Diamond – 4 yr female,nice female, a bit longer than 1st place, kind head, good eyes & teeth, level topline, moved ok, just a little wide in front, nice to see a happy dog in the ring.
Class 17 Graduate Bitch (2,0)
- Connelly’s Fortonpark Lilly May – 3 yr female, tall female, lovely head, good shape, kind eye, nice bone, level topline, low set tail, excellent muscle, moved well.
- Deradour’s Hypeak’s Coast of Jima – 4yr female, taller and longer to 1st, would have liked this bitch happier, on move a little wide, would have liked tighter feet.
Class 18 Post Graduate Bitch (5,0)
- King & Bramble’s Shirdees Miss Congeniality JW (Best Bitch & Res BiS) – 2½ yr female, a pleasure to go over as a adult, loved this girl as a pup, going over her today I was not disappointed again, beautiful shaped bitch, kind head and eyes, good bite, nice neckline, good front, topline good just keep a eye when standing her that she doesn’t dip, lovely rump, low set tail, lovely angulation, nice bone, excellent muscle, moved well, excellent drive and flowed with ease, well presented and handled, pleasure to award Best Bitch and Reserve Best in Show and Best Opposite Sex.
- Harris’ Meadowpark Dancin’ On My Own – 2 yr female, another lovely bitch to go over, strong head, kind eyes, lovely bite, good neck and lovely topline, good front, good bone, lovely angulation, lovely rump and low set tail, good muscle, stands beautiful for her owner, moved well with good drive,well presented and handled,was hard to choose between 1 & 2, might change in the future. A bitch to watch.
- Connelly’s Fortonpark Lilly May
- Deradour’s Hypeak’s Coast of Jima
- Flaxman’s Glanzberg’s See The Sun
Class 19 Limit Bitch (1,1)
Class 20 Open Bitch (4,2)
- Ch Bernsteph Dior Remember Me JW ShCM (Res Best Bitch) – 5 yr female, beautiful mature female, lovely shaped head, kind dark eyes, good bite, good neck line, level topline, good angulation, low set set tail, good muscle, good front and bone, moved well, had good drive, well presented and handled. A pleasure to award Reserve Best Bitch.
- Miles’ Jaybiem My My My – 2½ female, tad longer to winner, beautiful shape, strong broad head, kind eyes, good bite, good front and bone, level topline, low set tail, moved well and with drive, well presented and handled, choosing between 1st & 2nd was very hard, a pleasure to go over.